Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Authentic Eastern Carolina BBQ In Downtown Raleigh, NC


A little back story about yours truly. I try not to watch too much TV but when I do, I'm probably watching Travel Channel's Man v Food. Both for Inspiration of new places to eat as well as admiration of wanting that job so damn bad. As much as I love food, believe it or not I have recently loss 35 lbs, and if Travel Channel came to me today, I would happily gain it all back and then some traveling around, eating for free, and getting paid to do it. So one faithful day I was watching yet another episode of Man v Food when coincidentally the restaurant being featured just so happened to be in my home state of North Carolina. Raleigh, North Carolina to be exact. The name of the restaurant: The Pit Authentic BBQ. A restaurant who prides it self on keeping the tradition of serving authentic whole-hog pit cooked BBQ.



The Pit Authentic BBQ on Travel Channel's Man v Food

With southern classics like mac n cheese, collard greens, cornbread, black eyed peas, baked beans, fried chicken, coupled with contemporary twist with the addition of some of the best ribs my eyes had ever seen. I knew then I had obtained a brand new mission and that mission was going to be accomplished. That Saturday the misses and I headed down there from Fayetteville, NC, about  an hours drive. We were told by locals that if we were going to eat there we better hurry up because lines could be long. Just our luck when we finally arrived not only was there no line, the Pitmaster himself Ed Mitchell(No longer at The Pit, currently he's opening a restaurant in Durham, NC called Cue) greeted us at the door. 


We took our seats and a waiter promptly gave us our menu's. In truth I didn't even need one, I already knew what I wanted before entering the door...at least for my first visit. The chopped barbecue dinner, with collard greens, mac n cheese and cornbread. It had been on my mind since watching the episode. Sure I've had all of those before but this was all local produce, and the pigs used to produce the BBQ are all raised in North Carolina using free range farming practices. This was official.

Our food had arrived and I took my first bite. You ever go to a place that people hype up only to find out it's not worth the hype? This was not one of those places. My first bite of that chopped barbecue was absolutely delicious. It was tender, succulent, seasoned to perfection, and the sauce had just the right combination of sweet and spicy. If I had it my way I would have took a whole pan of the mac n cheese back home with me, it was the truth. The collard greens were on par with what my grandmother makes, and she makes a mean batch of collard greens. A little hint, don't eat too much of the cornbread, it can literally fill you up before your meal arrives. We left The Pit that day already planning our return. We have now been there quite a few times and it is not a fluke. Great service and great food every time. If you are ever in the Raleigh area do yourself a favor and go check out The Pit Authentic Barbecue. If you live in the surrounding areas and have never been, I really don't know what to say to you other then you are missing out big time.
One Extremely Happy Customer

For More information on The Pit check out: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/  



Make sure to subscribe to TheDowntowner for more articles on Raleigh and other great cities and their downtown food offerings.




The Pit on Urbanspoon TheDowntowner North Carolina restaurants

2 comments:

  1. I am making plans to go visit this place. I saw the episode as well. I don't eat pork but I'm sure there are other items that are cooked with the same enthusiasm. Following you now because I can't wait to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first visited the place I ate pork but stop eating my self going on 2 years now, they have other options, their chopped barbecue turkey is a great alternative, they also have brisket, their fried and bbq chicken is on point, and their sides stand out all on their own.

      Delete