Monday, August 26, 2013

Almost World Famous Chicken & Waffles In Durham, NC


There is a lot that can be said about Durham, North Carolina also known as the bull city. It has been called creative, eclectic, hip, innovative, highly educated, entrepreneurial, and few not so good names as well. Recently Southern Living called Durham "The South's Tastiest Town". I literally kick my self sometimes.....alright, alright that's a lie, but I feel like kicking myself when I think about how late I was on figuring out about Durham and its food scene. From 2004 to 2009 I was a student at North Carolina A&T State University(Aggie Pride!!!) located in Greensboro, North Carolina. Just 45 minutes away but it wasn't until last year that I told my self, "hey I wonder what's in Durham. So off I went on another adventure. The misses and I arrived downtown, found a place to park, and immediately started randomly exploring when suddenly it appeared.

Dame's Chicken & Waffles, we decided to check it out. It must have been destiny, we randomly came across it in under 5 minutes of walking around and when we got inside we didn't have to wait at all to be seated, we were told that we were lucky because there's usually lines out the door. Our service was good and our food was even better. It was my first time so I went with the Carolina Cockerel: Dame's personal favorite, Three chicken wings, a blueberry waffle, with a peach & apricot shmear. What the hell is a shmear you ask? Dame’s soon to be, Almost World Famous “Shmears” are made of sweet crème butters that have been delicately whipped with the freshest natural ingredients available. My first bite was like Neo breaking out of the matrix. I had truly been asleep and had finally been awakened to the great taste of city I had been sleeping on for years.



My meal was a complete work of art and tasted just as good as it looked. Southern fried chicken cooked to crispy, juicy, out right tasty perfection set on top of what has to be one of the best waffles I've ever had. Oh yes the main attraction is very good but don't sleep on their sides. Their mac n cheese could stand out on it's own as a meal. To all who may be reading this, if you have never been to Durham and you find yourself in the area, do your self a favor and head downtown, make yourself a reservation (I really did get lucky lines can be really long) and taste one of the many great food destinations in downtown Durham. For those living in the area feel free to leave some comments about your experience at Dame's as well as food destination recommendations for my next trip. 

For more information on Dame's Chicken & Waffles check out: http://www.dameschickenwaffles.com/
Dame's Chicken & Waffles on Urbanspoon TheDowntowner North Carolina restaurants

No comments:

Post a Comment